From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:38
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Remote Drives

The 3270 will be at the end of a different 1000 mile wire.

The move to the DR site will be as you describe. The assumption is that
we are moving there because our normal center has been destroyed (used
as a set for an episode of 24, perhaps). The move to the DR site will
have local tapes and 3270s on a 3000 mile wire. After f few months, when
the normal center as been reconstructed, it will have brand new
everything. One way to accomplish the move might be to do a reverse DR
using tapes that are located at the normal DR site. Might is a key word
here. If the stand-alone utilities can be IPLed from there, there would
be no physical transport of tapes, something that our powers-that-be are
rightfully paranoid about.

Alternatively, we could find some way of creating any needed S-A
utilities at the new center.

Regards,
Richard Schuh