Yes, I discovered this shortly after asking. I was able to do this from
OPERATOR, and then use DEFINE MDISK to get access to the disk and see the
USER BACKUP file to get the passwords I needed.

The evil question that comes to mind now is, could an auditor site you
because the operators effectively have access to all the passwords on the
system via roughly four commands? Is this considered a security hole (though
one that proved very useful today...)
--
Robert Nix  -- Mayo Clinic
(shortened signature)