From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Romanowski, John (OFT)
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:38 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Clean Linux Guest Shutdown

( resent to correct my  /etc/init.d/rc.3/ to /etc/init.d/rc3.d/) Bob, I
think it's as the others said, Linux is shutting down the way you told
it to do but not the way you intend it to do:

Here's how we shutdown  a disconnected sles 10 oracle server gracefully
here, hope the example helps you:

/etc/inittab has a record to run 'shutdown -h now' in response to the
SIGNAL SHUTDOWN or FORCE WITHIN ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h -t 4
now

our zipl.conf doesn't have any vmpoff/halt-whatevers in it.

CP Q SIGNALS  shows the oracle guest enabled for the SHUTDOWN signal
                                        Signalled  Timeout
Userid        Signal    Signal Status   By         Remaining
DZ2DF138      SHUTDOWN  Enabled         -          -

init script dbora (see listing below) with proper comment headers is in
/etc/init.d/dbora

I ran command 'chkconfig dbora on' so the start/kill symlinks to dbora
are built in /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ 'chkconfig -l dbora'  reports dbora is
on in run level 3

dz2df138 is running disconnected; From VM did CP SIGNAL SHUTDOWN
dz2df138

On dz2df138 oracle shutdown cleanly and then linux finished shutting
down, and VM then logged off dz2df138.

This is our /etc/init.d/dbora script:
-------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# OFT John R 3/20/2007 An init script to start/stop oracle 10gR2
database(s) # and the Oracle "listener" by running Oracle's scripts
based on this script's # input parameter of "start" or "stop".
# The Oracle scripts are run as userid oracle.
#
#This incorporates some code from Oracle's dbora script shown in their
doc. We use # 'su' not 'rsh' that Oracle used.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: dbora
# Required-Start: $local_fs $network $syslog # Should-Start: $local_fs
$network $syslog nscd sshd # Default-Start: 3 # Short-Description:
Starts/stops oracle db and listener.
its listener;
#        also starts/stops oracle dbconsole.
### END INIT INFO

case "$1" in
'start')
       echo "... ORACLE listener, database(s) and dbconsole starting
..."
       su - oracle -c "sh -c \"dbstart \$ORACLE_HOME \" "
       echo "    emctl start dbconsole..."
       su - oracle -c "sh -c \"emctl start dbconsole \" " &  #can be in
parallel
       ;;
'stop')
       echo "... ORACLE dbconsole, database(s) and listener stopping
..."
       su - oracle -c "sh -c \"emctl stop dbconsole \" "
       echo "    dbshut..."
       su - oracle -c "sh -c \"dbshut \$ORACLE_HOME \" "
       ;;
*)
      echo "usage: $0 {start | stop}"
      exit
      ;;
esac

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged
or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee.
If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not
authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use
this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.