Alan Altmark wrote:
That's true, but it goes even deeper. Backup/Restore is "vendor space," including IBM's own offerings. We can't do things in the base product or give away things that would negatively affect the value of such software. But that's all stuff that gets sorted out when the actual requirement is analyzed by product planners and we understand what technology is needed and how it is best delivered.

It looks to me like we are talking about 2 separate requirements.

1. Add and document the ability for VM to read and write to bootable DVD and USB drives.

2. Change the Backup/Restore products (both IBM and other vendors) to exploit the abilities added in requirement 1.

Requirement #1 is a prerequisite for requirement #2. But, requirement #2 is the justification for requirement #1.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit