From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Richard Troth
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:33 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: CP Query wildcards

By the way ... Unix cheats.
The shell expands all wildcards, which I have always said is a mistake
because it presumes on the context.  The shell can only expand
wildcards that are filenames.  Not everything you might want to
wildcard is a file.  Wouldn't it be nice if you could  'ifconfig
eth*'?

It's just an observation, not a rant against Unix.
Actually, I LIKE Unix and wish we all made more use of OpenVM.

So ... to make 'q dasd' work the way David expresses, that function
would need to call some kind of globbing subfunction.  Same thing for
'ifconfig' in Linux and Unix.  We need normalized namespace globbing,
something which can be used by commands which don't necessarily do
files, commands which are part of non-Unix stuff (like the CP Nuc).
This stuff has been implemented in C time and again.  Too bad CP
doesn't have a C runtime instantiated.  Oh ... wait ... It does!   :-)

And now back to your regularly scheduled list traffic.

-- R;   <><

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:58, Dean, David (I/S)<david_d...@bcbst.com>
wrote:
> Why won't my wildcard work?
>

> q dasd l53701
>
> DASD C018 CP SYSTEM L53701   1
>
> DASD C0CE CP SYSTEM L53701   1
>
> DASD C0CF CP SYSTEM L53701   1
>

> CP
>
> q dasd l53*
>
> DASD L53* was not found.
>

> Thanks
>

> David Dean
>
> Information Systems
>
> *bcbstauthorized*

> Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of
Tennessee