You are reaching, Mike.

How did you keep the dates from being updated?

* For CMS files on a minidisk, the answer is simple - there is no DoLR to worry
about.
* The same probably applies to your files in the "distant past". It was
probably not a factor.
* I suspect that PROFS was the only thing, if any, that was aware of any DoLR
associated with its files (it never did support SFS while it was called PROFS
and at least in the earlier days of OV/VM - I can't speak to any version more
recent than 1998), so using some other, non-PROFS, tool probably did not affect
it in any way. And if you used PROFS to do the scan you probably had no control
over it, you took whatever it gave you.
* Backup programs are special. They ought to have a mechanism for preventing
update that is not available to any other user(perhahs excepting those in
power). Restored files ought to have the same dates as the files that were
backed up.
* A scan is an application, a much used application around here. The only
critical dates we have had to worry about have been either recorded in the
files, themselves, or the DoLU, which CMS records for M-disks as well as SFS.

Second question, how many times have you really had to worry about DoLR? I have
never been asked to do anything that required DoLR in my 46 years in IT, the
last 40 as a sysprog. It may be different for you because of the nature of
Hewitt's business.

Another point - do you really not care about seeing if someone reads the file?
How do you distinguish between the good reads and the bad and record only the
good? If you can easily keep DoLR from being recorded, so can someone else who
may have nefarious purposes. If you are really worried about it, you ought to
keep separate records and use a filter to ignore  your secret accesses of the
files. And these records should be inaccessible to all potential miscreants.
(Perhaps via the Audit records produced by your ESM? I know you have one that
records everything.)

I, personally, do not like to depend on something that is available for only a
minor portion of the data. We have a filepool that is comprised of 20 disks
(3390-03s) devoted to user data. On the other hand, we have 92 -03s and 10 -09s
 devoted to CMS minidisks, where there is no record of last refeence. Then
there are 516 disks used for TPF test system images (no record) and 251 devoted
to VPARS DataBases (VDBs). The VDBs do record DoLR, but far and away the
highest percentage  (99.8+%) of their use here includes a first act of clearing
them of any previous data, so DoLR is really meaningless; it almost always
matches the DoLU, also recorded by VPARS. The few who do need to retain data in
their VDBs could not care less about DoLR. They only want to be able to restart
at specified checkpoints. DoLU may be important to them.

Regards,
Richard Schuh