Why I would want to?  I wouldn't.

However, CA is saying that the root cause of our DYNAM catalog corruption is
caching.

Where I can see if some VSE systems are accessing the DYNAM catalog thru some
sort of cache while other systems are not....big problem here.

But single VM system with MDC turned on for all, with the IBM DS6800 with
caching being mandatory (I believe), shouldn't cause problems.

I turned off MDC for the DYNAM shared disks and our corruption problem
continues.  So they wanted caching turned off in the controller for the DYNAM
disks.  I don't think that is going to happen.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Rob van der Heij <rvdh...@gmail.com> 7/29/2009 1:32 AM >>>
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Tom
Duerbusch<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:

> Can cache be turned off for a volume on the DS6800?
>
> I don't think so.  But I would like to confirm that.

I believe it's up to the device to decide what to do with the cache
bits in the channel program. Since it emulates "real disks" using
other type of hardware, it may be appropriate to ignore some of those
directives when they were meant to address issues that don't apply to
this kind of implementation. The cache in such a DASD subsystem plays
a different role than control unit cache in 3990, so there's a good
reason not to take the bits literally

The curious mind makes me ask: why would you want to do that?

Rob