Been in VM waaay to long to do the duplicate minidisk problem <G>.

All my shared minidisks are owned by user $SHRDASD.  Everyone else links.

And when I have a second level VM system, there is no MDC on the second level
system.
Since VSE can't run on an IFL, there is also no sharing across LPARs.

Anyway, I reject (until proven otherwise) that this problem has/is being caused
by any sort of caching on this system.  But when the vender is trying to fix
the problem, I tend to go along with any/all suggestions, if anything, just to
move the process forward.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> 7/29/2009 11:49 AM >>>
On Wednesday, 07/29/2009 at 11:52 EDT, Tom Duerbusch
<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:

> However, CA is saying that the root cause of our DYNAM catalog
corruption is
> caching.

Not impossible, of course, but highly unlikely.  If all I/O is coming down
the same chpid from the same VM system, the cache isn't relevant, so you
could vary offline all but one chpid.

> Where I can see if some VSE systems are accessing the DYNAM catalog thru
some
> sort of cache while other systems are not....big problem here.
>
> But single VM system with MDC turned on for all, with the IBM DS6800
with
> caching being mandatory (I believe), shouldn't cause problems.
>
> I turned off MDC for the DYNAM shared disks and our corruption problem
> continues.  So they wanted caching turned off in the controller for the
DYNAM
> disks.  I don't think that is going to happen.

Possibly you have other MDISK statements rather than LINKs, and one has
MDC and the other doesn't?  Tell CP the volume is SHARED and all MDC for
the volume will be disabled, regardless of directory settings or SET
commands.