First, IBM has never measured this for z/VM, their resources devoted to things like LSPR for VM are long gone. So you are either getting a sale's person's guess, or a z/OS guess and I guess they guess different?

"Amdahl's Law of Multiprogramming" from a software perspective states that a system's thruput (in regards to adding processors) is governed by the amount of code that is single threaded. z/VM has done a very good job of getting code off of the master processor, and reducing or eliminating locking, and Linux workloads unless very storage constrained with lots of emergency scans don't abuse the master.

With z/VM's affinity mechanism with the Processor Local Dispatch Vector where one virtual machine block is associated with a processor, the processor cache is also better utilized. The association dies if there are idle processors looking for work, in which case losing a cache is not important because there are extra processors sitting idle looking for work.

And there is the other option of multiple lpars with dedicated IFLs, to reduce impact of dropping caches.

Best guess - we want ibm to lower the prices so agree with ibm that 359 is the right number, in planning, MY "guess" is that it would be VERY MUCH higher.

But the reality is that with the current storage problems that IBM software group is giving us with their polling in WAS, DB2, Domino and SAP are going to keep this a non-problem for a while. (Though DB2 has very recently made very good progress toward becoming virtual friendly). Currently "my guess" is that until ibm fixes their software you can't/won't buy enough real storage to support 60 z10/xx processors.

Marcy Cortes wrote:
I'm getting conflicting answers from IBM.

How does VM scale with regards to multiprocessors? In the z/OS world the 1st z/10 engine
is like 900 something MIPS and the 60th on the box is something like 359. Does z/VM hosting Linux suffer the same fate? (z/OS per engine pricing actually goes down to compensate for this,
z/VM's does not).

Marcy
"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have
received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and