From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 9:22 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Linux communications server

On Monday, 08/10/2009 at 10:05 EDT, "Frank M. Ramaekers"
<framaek...@ailife.com> wrote:
> Yes, I understand that, but currently our TN3270 server is offloaded
from the
> CPU (it?s a Visara box).   It seems to minimize impact to the current
LPAR
> (single LPAR machine), would be to get an IFL with z/VM, Linux and the

> Communications Server.   This has little to NO impact to the LPAR, but

by
> moving this server from an outboard box inward could have adverse
effects
> (especially on our already loaded LPAR).

Just use OSA-ICC (integrated communications controller, TYPE=OSC).  It
gives you a TN3270 server that, like the Visara box and the old IBM
2074,
creates non-sna 3270 devices on that chpid.  It can be shared across
LPARs.

Of course, dedicating hardware (of any flavor) for a telnet server
implies
that you have sufficient TN3270 traffic to justify the offload or you
don't have sufficient CPU capacity to absorb the additional workload.

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is
solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.