On Tuesday, 08/18/2009 at 09:33 EDT, "Kline, Martin"
<martin.kl...@yrcw.com> wrote:
> I mean that when the LINUX guests start automatically when z/VM is
IPL'ed,
> then they cannot connect to the vswitch. When they are restarted, they
> connect as expected.
>
> I discovered this accidentally after removing the LINUX guests from
> AUTOLOG1. I did that, because I was restarting VM multiple times, and it
> was quicker without the guests. When the LINUX guy signed onto his
guest,
> causing it to boot, we discovered that the network connection was
> mysterously working. So, I put the guests back into the start list. Next
> time I IPL'ed, the guests no longer had network connectivity. Yet, when
> stopped the guests and restarted them, connectivity was restored.

Perhaps you are bringing up the Linux guests before DTCVSW1 and DTCVSW2
are up and the VSWITCH stable?  If so, poll your VSWITCHes and verify that
they are "State: Ready" before you xautolog any guest that intends to use
them, or make your guests take a deep breath and try again before throwing
their hands in the air and declaring defeat.

Remember that XAUTOLOG is an asynchronous command.  It's pretty easy to
start 100s of guests booting at the same time and creating (a) a slow
system, and (b) lots of race conditions.  Even the SYNCH option on
XAUTOLOG doesn't wait for the target guest to be "ready" in any meaninful
way; it just waits for the virtual machine to be created.