Yep, and if you have two controllers for failover to two OSA's this is a
problem ... am I up or am I down?

________________________________
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Miguel Delapaz
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 11:33 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: IFCONFIG to -REMOVE a link

Shimon,

Stop the interface with IFCONFIG VSECM DOWN first. It turns out that IFCONFIG
doesn't use the actual device status to decide whether an interface is UP or
DOWN...it considers a device UP if it has usable routes (i.e. it can actually
send traffic). We should probably change that :-)

Regards,
Miguel Delapaz
z/VM Development

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on 08/23/2009
05:01:55 AM:

> Hi,
> I tried to use IFCONFIG to remove a link. According to the help file
> the interface must be inactive first. I assumed that an interface which is
> "DOWN" can be considered "inactive", but apparently I was wrong:
>
>  IFCONFIG VSECM
> VSECM    INET ADDR: 10.1.5.2 P-T-P: 10.1.6.2 MASK: 255.0.0.0
>          DOWN BROADCAST MULTICAST POINTOPOINT MTU: 32760
>          VDEV: 0902 TYPE: CTC PORTNUMBER: 1
>          CPU: 0 FORWARDING: ENABLED
>          RX BYTES: 0 TX BYTES: 1524
> READY; T=0.13/0.14 14:51:26
>
>  IFCONFIG -SHOW VSECM -REMOVE
> DTCIFC2668E -REMOVE CANNOT BE SPECIFIED FOR AN ACTIVE INTERFACE
> READY(00008); T=0.11/0.12 14:51:35
> Can someone explain what else I need to do to remove this interface?
> Thanks,
> Shimon

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm