On Monday, 08/24/2009 at 02:19 EDT, "Dean, David (I/S)"
<david_d...@bcbst.com> wrote:
> We had a situation where one of our OSA links died, but failover did not

> occur.  It appeared to us that the zVM was not aware that the card was
actually
> ?down?.  This seemed similar to what you were referencing.  I could be
wrong?..

There can be failures where OSA does not notify the host of a failure. The
VSWITCH was designed to detect an OSA "stall".  TCP/IP's OSD device driver
was not.

I am rapidly moving to the opinion that VM TCP/IP should use a VSWITCH and
let the VSWITCH handle failover at the hardware level rather than needing
multiple IP addresses, VIPAs, and dynamic routing.

When VSWITCHes first became available, I was reluctant to put all my eggs
in one basket.  Now, however, "no problem."