Thanks for your warnings. I'll tread carefully.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: 02 September 2009 00:00
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Retrieving a VM Packed file

On Tuesday, 09/01/2009 at 04:05 EDT, Pete Borton
<peter.bor...@northgatearinso.com> wrote:
> All I can say is 'It works for me' - as long as the CMS file was text
> in
the
> first place of course (sorry forgot that bit in my first response! Why
would
> you pack a binary file anyway ?).  I've just tested it and it works
fine. It
> definitiely WON'T work for binary files. VM packed files are Fixed
> 1024 bytes so I believe the <CR><LF> is ignored because you've said
> the LRECL
is
> 1024. All I can suggest is you try it yourself !!

IND$FILE has the advantage of deferring translation to the "PC side" of the
emulator, which knows both the configured code page AND the code page of the
operating system you are running it on.  Very handy.

Because my emulator is configured for host code page 924 (ISO 8859-15) and I
run on western Windows (code page 1252), so I ftp any file with 'extended'
characters using translation table 09241252.  (site xlate
09241252)

Take a look at STANDARD TCPXLATE on TCPMAINT 592 to see the fate of a
typical file transferred with STANDARD translation.  With it, a text file
will download/upload without a problem as long as you restrict yourself to
the printable 7-bit ASCII characters between 0x20-0x7E and a few standard
control characters.

When you wander off the 7-bit ASCII farm, however, the terrain gets hilly
and there are sinkholes and cliffs.  Beware.