From: Paul, Thomas <thomas.p...@iso.com>
Subject: Re: Backup RES Labeling Question
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 10:00 AM

Howard,  Here is the attachment and how to do this.  Please remember to make
changes that fits to your environment.
Regards
Tom

_Modifying labels in the SYSTEM CONFIG file
_ Modifying labels in the USER DIRECT file
_ Changing the labels on the five volumes
_ Shutting down your system and restarting it

Modifying labels in the SYSTEM CONFIG file
Note the first five CP-owned volumes with the QUERY CPOWNED command in
Example 4-36.
Example 4-36 QUERY CPWONED output
==> q cpowned
Slot Vol-ID Rdev Type Status
1 520RES A770 Own Online and attached
2 520SPL A771 Own Online and attached
3 520PAG A772 Own Online and attached
4 520W01 A773 Own Online and attached
5 520W02 A774 Own Online and attached
6 VPA775 A775 Own Online and attached
7 VPA776 A776 Own Online and attached
8 VPA777 A777 Own Online and attached
9 VPA778 A778 Own Online and attached
10 VPA779 A779 Own Online and attached
11 ------ ---- ----- Reserved
12 ------ ---- ----- Reserved
==> cprel a
==> link * cf1 cf1 mr
==> acc cf1 f
==> copy system config f = confBKUP = (oldd rep
==> x system config f
Issue follow on the command line to reach the CP_Owned volumes
====> /cp_owned
/* CP_Owned Volume Statements */
/**********************************************************************/
CP_Owned Slot 1 VM1RES
CP_Owned Slot 2 VM1SP1
CP_Owned Slot 3 VM1PG1
CP_Owned Slot 4 VVA771
CP_Owned Slot 5 VVA772
CP_Owned Slot 6 VPA776
CP_Owned Slot 7 VPA778
CP_Owned Slot 8 VPA775
CP_Owned Slot 9 VPA777
====> file
Verify to make sure that there are no syntax errors:
==> acc 193 g
==> cpsyntax system config f
CONFIGURATION FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE -- NO ERRORS ENCOUNTERED.

Release and detach the F disk, CPACCESS the A disk, and verify, as Example 4-39
shows.
Example 4-39 Releasing and detaching the F disk, and verifying the A disk
==> rel f (det
DASD 0CF1 DETACHED
==> cpacc * cf1 a
CPACCESS request for mode A scheduled.
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 09:19:57
HCPZAC6732I CPACCESS request for MAINT's 0CF1 in mode A completed.
==> q cpdisk
Label Userid Vdev Mode Stat Vol-ID Rdev Type StartLoc EndLoc
MNTCF1 MAINT 0CF1 A R/O 520RES A770 CKD 39 83
MNTCF2 MAINT 0CF2 B R/O 520RES A770 CKD 84 128
MNTCF3 MAINT 0CF3 C R/O 520RES A770 CKD 129 188
You have now changed the labels of the system volumes in the SYSTEM CONFIG
file. It is
critical that you proceed as your system is now in a state where it will not
IPL.
60 IBM z/VM and Linux on IBM System z: Virtualization Cookbook for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4

Modifying labels in the USER DIRECT file
Now modify the labels in the USER DIRECT file. You see many more occurrences of
the
labels being changed, as Example 4-40 shows.
Example 4-40 Modifying labels in USER DIRECT
==> copy user direct c = direwrks = (oldd rep
==> x user direct c
====> Stay on
====> set case m i
====> top
====> ch /510RES/VM1RES/ * *
====> all /510RES/
====> all
Do the previous 3 commands for each volser that needs to be changed.

====> file
You have now changed the labels of the system volumes in the USER DIRECT and
SYSTEM
CONFIG files. It is critical that you proceed with the remaining steps.

Changing the labels on the five volumes
Change the labels on the five volumes using the CPFMTXA command. You can do
this one
volume at a time with the CPFMTXA LABEL command.

Gain read/write access to the system res volume.

link maint 123 123 mr
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:07:07
q v 123
DASD 0123 3390 510RES R/W 3339 CYL ON DASD 7130 SUBCHANNEL = 000B
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:08:22

The following command will place the VM1RES label on the volume at virtual
address 123.

cpfmtxa 123 VM1RES label
HCPCCF6209I INVOKING ICKDSF.
ICK030E DEFINE INPUT DEVICE: FN FT FM, "CONSOLE", OR "READER"
CONSOLE
ICK031E DEFINE OUTPUT DEVICE: FN FT FM, "CONSOLE", OR "PRINTER"
CONSOLE
ICKDSF - CMS/XA/ESA DEVICE SUPPORT FACILITIES 17.0 TIME: 13

ENTER INPUT COMMAND:
CPVOL LABEL UNIT(0123) VOLID(VM1RES) NOVFY
ICK00700I DEVICE INFORMATION FOR 0123 IS CURRENTLY AS FOLLOWS:
PHYSICAL DEVICE = 3390
STORAGE CONTROLLER = 3990
STORAGE CONTROL DESCRIPTOR = E9
DEVICE DESCRIPTOR = 0A
ADDITIONAL DEVICE INFORMATION = 4A001B35
ICK04000I DEVICE IS IN SIMPLEX STATE
ICK00703I DEVICE IS OPERATED AS A MINIDISK
ICK00091I 0123 NED= 2105. .IBM.13.000000014076
ICK091I 0123 NED= 2105. .IBM.13.000000014076
ICK03090I VOLUME SERIAL = 510RES
ICK003D REPLY U TO ALTER VOLUME 0123 CONTENTS, ELSE T
ICK03000I CPVOL REPORT FOR 0123 FOLLOWS:

VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER IS NOW = VM1RES

ICK00001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0
13:08:51 11/09/06

This process must be done to each of the system volumes (520pag and 520spl)

Now that you have relabeled the system volumes, which are sometimes called
clipping the
volumes, you can run the DIRECTXA command to update the directory:

==> directxa user
z/VM USER DIRECTORY CREATION PROGRAM - VERSION 5 RELEASE 2.0
EOJ DIRECTORY UPDATED
HCPDIR494I User directory occupies 39 disk pages
Ready(00005); T=0.01/0.01 14:30:37
A return code of 5 is expected, because the labels in the USER DIRECT file are
different from
the spool data in the currently running system.
Finally, you are ready to issue a SHUTDOWN command.

Shutting down your system and restarting it
To test the changes you must shut your system down and then restart it. You
cannot do a
SHUTDOWN REIPL in this situation because you have to do a FORCE start as
follows:
==> shutdown
SYSTEM SHUTDOWN STARTED
HCPSHU960I System shutdown may be delayed for up to 210 seconds
You lose your 3270 session. Perform the following steps to restart the system:
2. Click the LOAD icon in the CPC Recovery menu.
3. Select the Clear radio button. All the other parameters must be correct from
the previous
IPL. Click OK.
4. Click Yes on the Load Task Confirmation panel.
Program
Loader panel opens. Use the Tab key to traverse to the section IPL Parameters
and enter
the value cons=sysg.
6. Press the F10 key to continue the IPL of your z/VM system. This takes around
three
minutes.
7. At the start prompt, you have to specify a FORCE start, again because the
spool volume
label has changed. Enter the following:
==> force drain
8. Do not change the time of day clock.
==> no
9. When the IPL completes, DISCONNECT from the OPERATOR user ID and log in to
MAINT.
==> disc
Now your z/VM system volumes must be relabeled. Verify with the QUERY CPOWNED
command, as Example 4-42 shows.
Example 4-42 Verifying z/VM volumes with QUERY CPOWNED
==> q cpowned
Slot Vol-ID Rdev Type Status
1 VM1RES A770 Own Online and attached
2 VM1SP1 A771 Own Online and attached
3 VM1PG1 A772 Own Online and attached
4 VVA773 A773 Own Online and attached
5 VVA774 A774 Own Online and attached
6 VPA775 A775 Own Online and attached
7 VPA776 A776 Own Online and attached
8 VPA777 A777 Own Online and attached
9 VPA778 A778 Own Online and attached
10 VPA779 A779 Own Online and attached
11 ------ ---- ----- Reserved
In the event that you IPL a system with duplicate system volumes, it is
possible that you may
have destroyed your saved segments. You can identify this situation when you
are unable to
IPL CMS. In this case, you have to IPL 190.

Important: Do this only if your saved segments have been destroyed. To rebuild
saved
segments, try the following commands:
==> vmfsetup zvm cms
==> sampnss cms
==> i 190 cl parm savesys cms
==> vmfbld ppf segbld esasegs segblist ( all