The problem I would have, is my MAINT user is defined with 1 GB.  That is so I
can process large reader files.
The very vast majority of the time, I'm only using a few MB.

Would you fix, prevent MAINT from logging on, when we are at, or near the
discussed problem?
Operations also has some userids of a similar nature.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

On 9/18/09 11:38 AM, "Bill Holder" <hold...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:11:58 -0400, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net> w
> rote:
>> I think we're all in violent agreement on that point. Now, the question
> is
>> what is the best way to put a safety on that gun?
> Is this a procedural or technical implementation question (or both)?
> For the former, I'd say a requirement is appropriate.

OK, got that covered and done.

> For the latter,
> let's have at it.  :)

As I suggested in the requirement:

Possible solution would be to provide a SYSTEM CONFIG option
(Check_Resource_Alloc_Sanity for discussion purposes) and associated SET
command to check LOGIN, DEF STOR, and IPL events to determine whether the
requested resources (default virtual storage size for LOGIN, new value for
virtual storage for DEF STOR, and current virtual storage size at time of
issue for IPL) are greater than the current physical storage and defined
paging space. If check is true, then issue a warning message and cancel the
action.

Option defaults to ON, can be turned off by class A user SET command.

Not perfect, but would catch most of the scenarios that have been discussed
so far.