From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 12:11 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM lockup due to storage typo

While you are at it, make it self-healing, including the updating of the
source code. Or at least include a Medical Tricorder with each system.:-)

> We recognize that CP must be more forgiving and we are working to that
> end, examining a variety of solutions that include inertial dampening,
> tritanium plating, Kevlar(R), stacks of phone books, as well as taking
> the gun away from you and beating you over the head with it (aka "the
> retaliatory baseball bat subroutine").

You may need dedicated DUMP packs in order to be able to do this. CP may
have outgrown the size of the dump space and cannot allocate a larger space
as a result of the problem.

> The bottom line is that none of us want the system to go out to lunch.
> That doesn't serve anyone's purposes.  If it happens, get a restart
> dump and let us know.  Sometimes it's *not* your fault.  Really!  :-)
>
> Alan Altmark
> z/VM Development
> IBM Endicott
> =

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic
transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender.  This
information may be legally privileged.  The information is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this
electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.