Nicely written

John P. Baker wrote:

All,

Since we have now beat the issue of storage management to death, I would like to set forth some concrete ideas for consideration.

First, it has been pointed out that it may not currently be possible to LOGON to MAINT or OPERATOR or to some other service machine in order to diagnose the problem.

I recommend that the idea of splitting page space into multiple pools be considered, where individual users can be assigned to different pools. For the purposes of discussion, let us consider that following enhancement:

· In the SYSTEM CONFIG file

o DEFBACKSTGPOOL pool-id-8

o BACKSTGPOOL pool-id-8 volser-6

· In the CP directory

o OPTION BACKSTGPOOL pool-name-8

· Extend the CLASS B CP QUERY command

o QUERY BACKSTGPOOL user-id-8

o QUERY DEFBACKSTGPOOL

· Extend the CLASS B CP SET command

o SET BACKSTGPOOL user-id-8 {DEFAULT | pool-name-8}

· Extend the CLASS G CP QUERY command

o QUERY BACKSTGPOOL

Each paging volume will be allocated to a specific backing storage pool.

A LOGON will be rejected if the backing storage pool does not exist.

The SET BACKSTGPOOL command will be rejected if the backing storage pool does not exist.

Second, provide a specification on whether a virtual machine requires full backing storage for its defined memory size.

· In the SYSTEM CONFIG file

o DEFBACKSTG {SYSTEM | VMSIZE}

· In the CP directory

o OPTION BACKSTG {DEFAULT | SYSTEM | VMSIZE}

· Extend the CLASS B CP QUERY command

o QUERY BACKSTG user-id-8

o QUERY DEFBACKSTG

· Extend the CLASS B CP SET command

o SET BACKSTG user-id-8 { DEFAULT | SYSTEM | VMSIZE}

· Extend the CLASS G CP QUERY command

o QUERY BACKSTG

If BACKSTG is set or defaulted to SYSTEM, page allocation will continue to operate as it does today.

If BACKSTG is set or defaulted to VMSIZE, there must be available within the backing storage spool sufficient space to accommodate the entirety of the specified VMSIZE, otherwise the LOGON, DEFINE STORAGE, or SET BACKSTG command will be failed.

The SETBACKSTG command will force a virtual machine reset to occur.

These changes will address some of the issues raised. I am certain that other changes would be required, and that other ideas should be considered. Please post your ideas. Don’t hesitate to point out any problems.

John P. Baker

--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2010 - Apr 9-14, 2010 Covington, KY