On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Scott Rohling <scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Working with a customer running Linux on zSeries under zVM...  discussing
> clean up of disk areas when a Linux server is removed.   The 'norm'
> according to the customer is to use anywhere from 3 to 35 'passes' to erase
> data, depending on sensitivity.   I'm wondering if anyone can provide input
> about how this relates to various cleanup available...   I'm confused on a
> couple of fronts:
>
> -  I'm probably not understanding -- but writing 1's or 0's more than once
> to a disk area seems, well, silly.   Do 'passes' imply that each pass is
> covering more 'area' or something?   Whenever I do things like 0 a disk
> using the dd command -- I assume the entire disk is being written to and any
> subsequent dd commands are unnecessary and redundant.
>
> - If we do a DIRM PURGE user CLEAN --  is that sufficient to meet any DoD
> rules, etc concerning securely wiping data?    Same for CPFMTXA FORMAT and
> any other utilities used from zVM to 'clean' DASD...   does anyone actually
> run these more than once?
>
> I'm sure I'm not understanding the context of 'passes' and just want to be
> able to talk intelligently as I can about how their concept of passes
> relates to how mainframe DASD is dealt with - especially at the zVM level.
> This is always where I come to hear several points of view and get useful
> insight -- so any input would be most welcome!

First, that would be "Linux on System z under z/VM". zSeries has been
dead for four years, it's time to let it go.

Anyway, to your real question: there is allegedly/apparently latent
magnetism in a bit, such that it's at least *theoretically* possible
to recover data from a formatted drive. Think of it like this.

If a given byte's bits *were* 10001000, and you've formatted it to all
zeroes, the actual magnetic values for the bits won't be quite all
zero. That is, we consider a bit to be "1" if its Gauss value (not the
right term, but close enough) is at least, say, 100 (on some scale
that I'm making up), A single format might push a "1" from 115 down to
45. But a bit that was previously zero (and was at 50 on my scale)
might get pushed down to 10.

So -- again, *in theory* -- you could read those values and infer that
the 45 was a 1 and the 10 was a 0. Now you have a couple of bits.
Repeat until done.

Has anyone ever actually done this? Not that I know of, but I haven't
really looked. Obviously they'd need physical access to the disks and
a fair bit of time.

HTH