I think that's why I hadn't given this much thought prior to this -- I'm
used to the idea of redeploying the same DASD and just formatting it once to
erase previous guests data.   So I agree there's a difference between doing
this - where the customer has only logical access to the data - and where
physical access is changing.   When storage units leave a data center -
'then' I think multiple wipes make sense -- but outside of that, I'm not
seeing it's applicability on a mainframe supplying a virtual Linux
environment (maybe cleaning up after a DR exercise/realdeal if sensitive
data was used).

Very interesting discussion -  I had not understood (or thought very hard
about) the physics and why multiple passes with different bit patterns would
be done -- but now I get it.   Thanks for educating a 'software' guy on the
mechanics!

Scott