Large systems can be a challenge...

Problem #1 -- Dump time. Customer took an abend on a 190GB VM LPAR. VM started dumping. (We assume it was to be a "small" dump -- just CP areas and the frame table.) Dumping at the rate of "25% every 6 minutes"... (And we're dumping...) The customer IPLed at 12 minutes into the dump because they needed to get their production systems back up.

Have any of the other large LPAR shops dealt with this? (Other than SET DUMP OFF ;-) Telling a customer to leave his system down for half an hour for a dump isn't popular...

Problem #2 -- Dump size. CP seems to allocate about 17GB for dump space out of the spool. Then to try and process the dump I'd need something like a mod-27 as a single large CMS minidisk... (Or a giant SAN LUN.) Then what? If I'm going to send the dump to IBM, I doubt FTPing a 20GB file is a choice... Back to good old tape?

#2a -- does IBM accept huge SPXTAPE DUMPs?

Thoughts and  suggestions (other than make the LPARs smaller) welcome...
Lee
--

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Computer Solutions