DUMPLD2 will help, when we get to 6.1...

All the Linux guests are SAN-only (no 3390), so no XLINK. And since it's all NPIV enabled, it's non-trivial (both on VM and the storage unit) to bring up a guest in a different LPAR.. Especially to get multi-path back..

There are multiple LPARs already, mostly full.. And no "spare" 190GB.. ;-)

And they are moving to more of an HA environment. But the Titanic, uh uh uh I mean the Queen Mary doesn't turn quickly...

Lee

Alan Altmark wrote:

Then don't. If time-to-recovery is less than time-to-obtain-diagnostics, then you can't really depend on a single LPAR.

I would bring up my other z/VM LPAR (cold, warm, or hot) and let it start everyone while the other system dumps. I would probably add some automation in AUTOLOG1 using XLINK-formatted shared dasd that would atttempt to determine if the "other" LPAR was up and, if so, don't start any guests. In the event of an abend, then you have to manually intervene and use XLINK RESET on the to remove links held by the failed system.

Problem #2 -- Dump size.   CP seems to allocate about 17GB for dump
space out of the spool.  Then to try and process the dump I'd need
something like a mod-27 as a single large CMS minidisk...   (Or a giant
SAN LUN.)  Then what?  If I'm going to send the dump to IBM, I doubt
FTPing a 20GB file is a choice...   Back to good old tape?

#2a -- does IBM accept huge SPXTAPE DUMPs?

We accept whatever you can get to us. z/VM 6.1 has a new DUMPLD2 utility that can break a dump into pieces as it loads to one or more minidisks. Then you can ftp each piece to us individually.

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Computer Solutions
Phone: (303) 996-7122
Email: lee.stew...@siriuscom.com