From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Lee Stewart
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:44 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] VM Dump Quandries

Large systems can be a challenge...

Problem #1 -- Dump time.   Customer took an abend on a 190GB VM LPAR.
VM started dumping.  (We assume it was to be a "small" dump -- just CP
areas and the frame table.) Dumping at the rate of "25% every 6
minutes"...   (And we're dumping...)  The customer IPLed at 12 minutes
into the dump because they needed to get their production systems back
up.

Have any of the other large LPAR shops dealt with this?  (Other than SET
DUMP OFF ;-)    Telling a customer to leave his system down for half an
hour for a dump isn't popular...

Problem #2 -- Dump size.   CP seems to allocate about 17GB for dump
space out of the spool.  Then to try and process the dump I'd need
something like a mod-27 as a single large CMS minidisk...   (Or a giant
SAN LUN.)  Then what?  If I'm going to send the dump to IBM, I doubt
FTPing a 20GB file is a choice...   Back to good old tape?

#2a -- does IBM accept huge SPXTAPE DUMPs?

Thoughts and  suggestions (other than make the LPARs smaller) welcome...
Lee
--

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Computer Solutions