I just made a test, CMS is still behaving badly: it ignores the machine
check or CP isn't giving one when a R/W disk gets linked R/O.
Conclusion: *simply
using CP SEND LINK ... RR followed by an update and CP SEND LINK .... M is
as dangerous as doing a LINK MW.*
The reason: CMS has structures in storage describing an accessed minidisk,
when you suddenly LINK a R/W mdisk in R/O, CMS doesn't do anything, the
later R/W link doesn't trigger anything else in CMS either, so the in
storage structure still describes the initial state of the minidisk.
Changes applied by another user are invisible.

Here's the console:
*Step 1: make EREP link its 191 in R/O*
send erep q disk a
EREP    : LABEL  VDEV M  STAT   CYL TYPE BLKSZ   FILES
EREP    : EREP   191  A   R/W     2 3390 4096       28
EREP    : Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:36:19
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
cp send  erep listfile new file A    *<-- Check if file exists*
EREP    : DMSLST002E File not found
EREP    : Ready(00028); T=0.01/0.01 11:37:28
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
cp send cp erep LINK * 191 191
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
EREP    : DASD 0191 LINKED R/W
cp send cp erep LINK * 191 191 RR
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
EREP    : DASD 0191 LINKED R/O
send erep q disk a      *<-- CMS in EREP still thinks its 191 is R/W*
EREP    : LABEL  VDEV M  STAT   CYL TYPE BLKSZ   FILES
EREP    : EREP   191  A   R/W     2 3390 4096       28
EREP    : Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:37:41
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
*Step 2: create a new file on EREP' s 191*
link EREP 191 999 M
DASD 0999 LINKED R/W; R/O BY EREP
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
ACC 999 Z
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
PIPE LITERAL ****!> NEW FILE Z
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
l new file z
NEW      FILE     Z1
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
rel z (det
DASD 0999 DETACHED
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
*Step 3: Give EREP its 191 back in R/W*
cp send cp erep LINK * 191 191 M
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
EREP    : DASD 0191 LINKED R/W
send erep q disk a
EREP    : LABEL  VDEV M  STAT   CYL TYPE BLKSZ   FILES
EREP    : EREP   191  A   R/W     2 3390 4096       28
EREP    : Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:40:03
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
*Step 4: Does EREP see the new file?*
cp send  erep listfile new file A   *<-- New file invisible*
EREP    : DMSLST002E File not found
EREP    : Ready(00028); T=0.01/0.01 11:40:15
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
cp send  erep ACCESS
EREP    : DMSACC724I 191 replaces A (191)
EREP    : Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:40:27
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01
cp send  erep listfile new file A
EREP    : NEW      FILE     A1
EREP    : Ready; T=0.01/0.01 11:40:31
Ready KRIS at VMKBBR01

If EREP would have performed an update in step 4, but before the ACCESS
command, the disk could have gotten corrupted, and for sure, the "NEW FILE"
would not have been there anymore.