A binary file can never be transferred to a workstation and back if it is
RECFM V.  Just technically impossible, unless using special transfer
programs that add the recordlength in front of each record (and strip that
back off when uploading to VM).  ALMCOPY was such a beast.  FTP nor IND$FILE
do that.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support