From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Tom Rae
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:09 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: 3380 DDR to 3390 Question

No can do. As the RESTORE section of HELP DDR states:  "Data can be
restored only to a DASD volume of the same or equivalent device type
from which it was dumped." 3380's and 3390's are not the same device
type, even if they are being emulated within the same disk array. As for
the TDISK definition, the device type there indicates the type of DASD
on which you want the temporary disk space to be allocated. If you do
not have TDISK space defined on 3380's you cannot allocate 3380 TDISKs.

If there is spare capacity in a disk array that is accessible from your
VM system and that array supports 3380 emulation, try talking your
storage admins into defining sufficient 3380 DASD. DDR RESTORE the tapes
onto the 3380's, copy files over to 3390's, then tell the storage admins
that they can have the 3380 space back.

Good luck!

Tom