that is not true
I have cut from 3380 too 3390 mod 3's w/o a problem
some one else stated it will work going to larger devices

             Fran Hensler
             <f...@zvm.sru.edu>
             Sent by: The IBM                                           To
             z/VM Operating            IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             System                                                     cc
             <ib...@listserv.u
             ARK.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: 3380 DDR to 3390 Question

             12/16/2009 07:28
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <ib...@listserv.u
                 ARK.EDU>

Dave -

DDR only works on like devices so a 3380 dump must be restored to
3380 devices.

What is the actual hardware you want to restore to?  Maybe it will
allow you to emulate 3380 DASD.

/Fran Hensler at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA for 46 years
    mailto:f...@zvm.sru.edu  http://zvm.sru.edu/~fjh  +1.724.738.2153
              "Yes, Virginia, there is a Slippery Rock"