Folks,

Well whilst its no longer connected to an IBM Mainframe we do have a
selection of HDS SAN's 2xAMS and 2xWMS. As some one who has to sort out the
mess his boss makes of its config from time to time I can understand the
sort of issues that may have resulted in this question. However as Peter has
pointed out a given "mini disk" will be be on spread over multiple physical
disks. In fact the mapping can be quite complex.  On the HDS SAN one defines
"Raid Groups" each of which contain several disks in RAID-1, RAID-5 or
RAID-10. Each of these is split into one or more SAN LUNs each of which has
a number within the SAN. Just to make life interesting multiple SAN LUNs can
be combined into a Composite LUN. Each of these SAN LUNs may then be made
available to multiple hosts as a HOST LUN. I guess this will map to a
physical device on the Mainframe. VM then sub-divides this into MiniDIsks.

How you walk back up the chain from a MINI DIsk to a collection of real
disks in the SAN will depend on your environment. If you actually have a
collection of SANS then its possibly worth looking at some of the third
party software that will manage multiple SANS. For example we have HDS
HiCommand Storage Services Manager which will produce all sorts of reports,
but its Oracle based and the box it runs on is incredibly slow so I find it
less that useful. I would expect IBM to have something similar in Tivoli...

So its some times "needs must" what I ended up doing in our environment was
going into the HDS GUI and dumping the LUN Mapping into a "config file" and
then feeding it through a Script File (I used VB Script because that's what
most folks understand where I work). The script file produces a CSV file
that can be read by a spread sheet or database of your choice. I can then
sort this in a number of ways to get out the info I need. You will probably
have to do something similar yourself...

Dave

G4UGM