From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Mike Walter
Sent: March 1, 2010 2:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Trapping output right after LOGON

In the immortal words of Ernestine the Telephone Operator (played by Lily
Tomlin): "Never mind".

With the COMMAND statement you will indeed "see" the logon error messages
in the console log, but the VM initialization is not complete enough to
trap the responses.

PROP (the Programmable Operator Facility) was suggested by others.  IMHO a
good suggestion.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Horlick, Michael" <michael.horl...@cgi.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/01/2010 12:41 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Trapping output right after LOGON

Greetings,

I would like to trap all the CP console output from a virtual machine from
its initial XAUTOLOG/LOGON. I have several z/VSE machines which are
XAUTOLOGed on by the operator. Reason?  In rare instances, maybe a pack is
not attached to the system which contains some minidisks used by these
machines. I know there could be a message such as:

HCPLNM108E MIKE A194 not linked; volid XT160D not mounted

For a test I have changed a virtual machine CONSOLE statement in its
directory to CONSOLE 009 T MIKE OBS and I get all messages after the user
logs on. I would like to programmatically trap these messages from a
disconnected service machine so that it can be detected. Tried WAKEUP but
no luck.

Suggestions?

Mike Horlick
Conseiller
CGI Gestion Intégrée des Technologies
1350 Boul. René-Lévesque Ouest
Montréal, Qc, H3G 1T4

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.