On Tuesday, 03/30/2010 at 04:57 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:
> Thanks Alan. BTW, the floor system at our Hot Site does not have RACF
> nor for that matter any other ESM. You can in fact run z/OS without an
> ESM.

You can run MVS and some of the subsystems, yes.  But you cannot, as you
discovered, run "z/OS" and all that implies.  Utilities that require
specific authorization won't work since they all talk to the ESM via SAF
calls (aka RACROUTE & Friends).  With no ESM, those calls come back as
"defer" and it is then up to the app to decide what to do.  Unless it has
an alternative source of authorization (99.9999% don't), the app has no
choice but to fail.

TSO works as it will, upon a defer from the call to the ESM, interrogate
SYS1.UADS, as it does if the ESM is there but doesn't, in RACF terms, have
a TSO segment defined for the user.

Even JES2/JES3 require an ESM to process USERID=,PASSWORD= on the JOB
card.  (If you SUBMIT from TSO without them, they run under your TSO id
without needing an ESM call.)

One of my z/OS Brothers-in-Weaselhood told me ages ago, and confirmed
again today, that *z/OS* was not designed to run without an ESM.  Without
one, you have just enough of a system up so that you can get one installed
and then go about your daily chores.