I believe the z/ versions are registered trade marked

they have an "R" by the name

z/VM®

munson
201-418-7588

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
03/31/2010 11:24 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ACM award - they deserve it....

Are any of the IBM OS,s trade marked?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Steele, Phil <stee...@tabcorp.com.au>
wrote:
Some of  this vast proliferation of servers was indeed (in the case of the
vaguely cluey users) about separation of control as Dave notes below. In
my experience, though, far more often it was  because the administration
of the company finances found it so much easier to do a case by case
justification, with no view whatsoever of any bigger picture. ( share a
server farm? - you must be joking... it's my bonus here we are talking
about!). It is for this reason that VMware  is, in my grumpy opinion,
likely to do  little more than add an extra layer of complexity /overhead
 top of any new hardware. The original reasoning ( or lack of it)  that
caused this  proliferation of squillions on servers continues unabated.
(Why do I suspect that the bean counters who run all of these companies
never liked IT folk much any way? and were therefore most relieved when
there was an alternative to the mainframe and hence those weird
non-accounting types that ran them).

I know that our z/VM Z/800 has been replaced by megawatts worth of severs,
( full rack after full rack of them!).

On the subject of IBM not trade marking VM, I wonder if it was because
once upon a time, it often meant Virtual  Memory as well as Virtual
Machine?

Philip Steele ( who only sound grumpy sometimes) .

495 Harris St Ultimo NSW 2007

Australia

The information in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it
are intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. The message and files may be protected
by legal professional privilege, or other legal rules. The confidentiality
of and privilege applying to this message and files is not waived if this
message or files has been sent to you by mistake. If the reader of this
message or files is not the intended recipient, you are notified that
retention, distribution or copying of this message and files are strictly
prohibited. If you receive this message or files in error, please notify
us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete all copies from
your computer system. It is the recipient's responsibility to check this
message and files for viruses.
Thank you.

*************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE*****************************-- The opinions expressed in this
message and/or any attachments are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates ("BBH"). There is no guarantee that
this message is either private or confidential, and it may have
been altered by unauthorized sources without your or our knowledge.
Nothing in the message is capable or intended to create any legally
binding obligations on either party and it is not intended to
provide legal advice. BBH accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage from its use, including damage from virus.