In my humble opinion the main reason VMWare (an to a lesser extent HyperV)
is popular at present is because it allows bean counters to demonstrate huge
instant savings. Where I work we have around 200 Windows servers, many were
bought around 5 years ago so will need replacing soone. In general we have a
separate server not for performance reasons but more for separation of
control and software options. Based on a limited trial I would say we could
consolidate 75% of these servers at a rate of at least 10 to 1 using VMWare,
and still have enough headroom to loose a physical server with no
performance impact. So that's take the 150 lowest loaded servers and replace
them with 15 servers running VMWare. To a bean counter that's a 90%
reduction in power consumption, a 90% reduction in floor space, and a 90%
reduction in hardware support costs.I am sure some think that should also be
a 90% reduction in support staff, but of course that's not true. Whilst
VMWare is fun to manage, it needs managing and also capacity planning.  In
practice the reduction is some what less than 90%. . To use the vernacular,
a VMWare server will be a "fully loaded server" with multiple CPU's, lots of
RAM, multiple SAN and Network interfaces for load balancing and resilience.
In order to fit these in it will be a 2U server and some of our existing are
1U, on the other hand others are 4U... BUT there will be a big saving.

Now compare that with zVM. With that you were frugal from day1 so there
aren't any savings. So the bean counters can't show cost reductions, so they
don't like it....

.... utterly blinkered....

Dave.