The simple answer to your question is that the volume is not attached to the
system.  So, when the guest tries to link the minidisk, there is no real
volume for it to contact.

It looks like the deeper problem is understanding how volumes work.  Let me
try to explain.

What you refer to as the "volume serial" is really the volume label.  It is
written to cylinder 0 on the real volume when it is initialized, i.e. when
you run CPFMTXA on it.  If you are working with a basic install system image,
then it was done for you already.  These volume labels are what map a disk
real address to a volume for CP to use.  So, each volume label that CP is
going to use, either as a CPOWNED volume or user volume, must be unique.
CP only reads the label at IPL time, or when the volume is attached to the
system.  Most of the time, your volumes are attached at IPL time, based on
what you have in your SYSTEM CONFIG file.  However, volumes can be detached
and attached to CP dynamically for different reasons.

So, the problem of the guest being unable to link the full minidisk is
because the volume labeled SYSPK is not attached to CP.  From MAINT do:

q dasd

And you will see a list of disk volumes currently attached to CP.  SYSPK
won't be there, and it needs to be.  Check your SYSTEM CONFIG file to see
if it has been included in the user volume section.  If you know the real
address of the volume, you can manually attach it to the system by doing:

attach (raddr) system

However, this is only temporary.  To make it permanent, you have to include
it in your SYSTEM CONFIG.

One thing I would like to point out is that SYSPK isn't a very good volume
label (IMHO).  You are likely to have a lot of volumes attached to this system
some day.  You need a way to keep them unique.  So, give some thought to
a better naming convention.  You only have 6 characters to work with in a
label.

There is another problem described in your email as well.  Using a full
volume minidisk is dangerous.  Since cylinder 0 contains the volume label
(along with other important information), it isn't a good idea to include
it in a minidisk allocation.  By doing so, it allows the guest to overwrite
the label without CP being aware of it.  I had also done that with our z/OS
guests for a long time, and my z/OS colleagues promised not to change the
labels.  Of course, over time, they did get changed.  That resulted in a
lot of problems whenever CP would be recycled.  So now, I only give them
full minidisks that do not include real cylinder 0, i.e. 1 through 3338.
The guest doesn't know the difference.  It allows them to use whatever labels
they want without affecting the real label that CP uses.  I do the same
for our Linux guests as well.  If z/OS needs a full volume image, i.e.
all 3339 cylinders, then I put it on a large CP volume, such as a 3390-27.
Again, the guest doesn't know the difference and it preserves the real
labels for CP.

Also, another piece of advice.  If these volumes are going to be shared
between z/OS guests, use the mode MWV, not just MW.  Otherwise, the z/OS
systems could run into problems.

I hope this long explantion makes some sense to you.  If not, please ask
more questions.  We are always happy to help new VMers.

Martha McConaghy
Marist College