Sorry to be late on this but Mike....this one is a keeper.  Thanks for the
bits...

--- On Fri, 3/5/10, Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com> wrote:

From: Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>
Subject: Re: CP's Parm Disks
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date: Friday, March 5, 2010, 10:45 AM

There any many ways to do this, each with their own merits.  Understanding
how SERVICE and PUT2PROD silently update the CF1 and CF2 disks is
important.

I prefer to think of CF2 as a resource to be used only if CF1 gets trashed
(my human, hardware, or any other error).

I wrote a local EXEC to keep CF1 and CF2 synched (other that SYSTEM CONFIG
there are not a lot of frequent changes),.  Instead of making he CF2 the
regular backup,  I COPY the old SYSTEM CONFIG to -1SYSTEM CONFIG (with
rolling renames up to -9SYSTEM CONFIG so we can go back up to 9 changes).
Same with CPLOAD MODULE as -1CPLOAD MODULE, and any other changes files
although they are handled manually since there are far fewer changes to
them.  That local exec also automatically runs CPSYNTAX on the new SYSTEM
CONFIG file before exiting, providing clear warnings if it did not end
normally.  Hint: you *do* faithfully run CPSYNTAX after *every* SYSTEM
CONFIG file change, even 1-lines', right?

If the Operator needs to back out for some reason, they are instructed to
call z/VM support first.  We don't want them blindly backing out an
important change without involving someone who might instead take
corrective action.  If they need to back out a changed file, we explain
how to do so by IPLing with "LOADPARM rdev" and using SALIPL to select
from the various backup -nSYSTEM CONFIG or -nCPLOAD MODULEs.  IBM's method
of copying CF1 to CF2 (SERVICE (?) and PUT2PROD) only provides one backout
layer.  So far our operators have never needed to use the CF2 disk.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Lesseg, Jon" <jon.les...@pacificorp.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/05/2010 09:11 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: CP's Parm Disks

Bill,

Thanks for clarifying this. The SERVICE and PUT2PROD is still a black box
for me at this time. I'll keep my own copies of SYSTEM CONFIG pre changes
also. It's nice to know there are knowledgeable folks with real world
experience out there to bounce questions to. This may be just the
beginning of a bunch of questions to the list as I work to get my head
around this VM creature.
Thanks again.

Jon L