On Friday, 03/05/2010, Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com> wrote:
> There any many ways to do this, each with their own merits.

Soon there will no longer be "many ways" - there will be only SERVICE and
PUT2PROD.   If any of you have been putting off learning SERVICE and
PUT2PROD, *now* is the time.

> Understanding how SERVICE and PUT2PROD silently update the CF1
> and CF2 disks is important.

"Silently?"  I don't think that's a word I would use with SERVICE and
PUT2PROD.  We can make it beep more, if that would help.  :-)  The logs
also provide exquisite detail.  But these commands are documented to
perform ("automate") the steps outlined in the Service Guide (e.g. p.46 of
the z/VM 6.1 Service Guide).

As far as the PARM disks go:

SERVICE
1. Copies CF1 (the whole thing) to CF2 *and* CF3.  [In the future, the
copy to CF3 will be done by PUT2PROD, not SERVICE, providing you with an
extra generation of CP nuc prior to PUT2PROD.]
2. Renames CPLOAD to CPLOLD on the CF2, erasing any previous CPLOLD in the
process.
3. Places the newly-minted CPLOAD MODULE on CF2.  Because CF2 is a fresh
copy of CF1, all of your configs, logos, etc. are there, allowing you to
IPL from it just as you would CF1.

PUT2PROD
1. Renames CPLOAD MODULE to CPLOLD MODULE on CF1, erasing any previous
CPLOLD in the process.
2. Copies the just-tested CPLOAD MODULE from CF2 to CF1.