Regarding z/Journal and Mainframe Executive being separate from IBM,
absolutely. Regarding the IBM magazine, also somewhat right: it's
produced/distributed by an external company, though with much editorial input
from IBM. But being a captive publication, articles are too often more product
descriptions than substantive business-case illustrations of mainframe value.

To be fair, though, IBM has other active efforts: a large assortment of
teleconferences highlight current customers' successes with VM, Linux, System
z. And Gerry Araneo (who also hosts most telecons) works to get System z
stories told. I wrote up Government Accountability Office and Antares (large
Mid-west insurance company) for him, and I'm not the only person writing these
profiles for him. And IBM issues press releases on mainframe customer stories.
Unfortunately, I doubt that these press releases and case studies reach
everyone who should read them.

Len Diegel said:

<Much snippage>

However, I feel we (IBM included) could be doing some things a little better.

--

Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042g...@gabegold.com