Richard, just yesterday I finished working on a REXX program that generat
es
CSV, HTML, or XML for a simple spreadsheet.  If you're interested, I can
ask
my employer whether I can give it to you.

You'd have to cannibalize it, since it does not read a text file; it
generates its own data by reading application-specific files.  It has a
layer of calls (open, start table, start row, td, etc.) and below that ar
the abstraction layers for the different formats.  The XML can handle
centering, column widths, and some cell highlighting (bold red, in this
case), but you could change it if you're up on XML, or by doing what I di
d:

I don't know XML, by the way.  I did the whole thing by starting with a
spreadsheet in Excel, saving it as XML, and taking it apart.