One of our Organization groups just evaluated this system. I did not
have the Luminex 880G Domain Controllers attached to my systems so I
could not test. The report I got was that after a drive was attached
z/VM commands DDR, and CMS tape load, dump, etc. worked. I requested
that VM:TAPE be installed and tested because that is what we use in
production. After a Luminex patch VM:TAPE mounts worked and the same
commands were tested and successful. I do not believe SPXTAPE was
tested.

The one issue we had was that any time Luminex re-configured their
controller the chpids would need to be taken offline and back online.
(Devices were boxed on z/OS guests) That issue was not resolved. We will
have many LPARs sharing the controllers so this creates a logistical
problem for scheduling changes to the Luminex config. I'd be interested
to know if anyone using Luminex 880G controllers for vtape was able to
make dynamic changes to the config without this problem.

Denny Burch

z/VM and z/LINUX Systems
DISA DECC Mechanicsburg
717 605-1181