How the library manager is controlled depends entirely upon the
manufacturer.  When we had an IBM ATL, we indeed used RMSMASTER.

When we switched to an Sun/STK VTS, Sun/STK required that we install: a
separate Sparc workstation running Redhat, software on VM to talk over IP
to that Redhat workstation, and that would then talk to Sun/STK software
on a z/OS system to control the library.

I saw that as a long string of problems (including firewall changes) just
waiting to fail - often, and without warning.  Too many control points
beyond our control!

Long ago I'd developed a band-aid/bubblegum method of entering a command
on VM:Operator, which would send a message through an RSCS NJE connection
to our z/OS systems.  Automation on those z/OS systems trapped the
message, issued the requested command on the appropriate z/OS system(s),
trapped the response, and sent it back as a string messages in rexx stem
variable format through that same RSCS NJE connection.  VM:Operator
trapped the response and displayed it for forwarded it to the command
issuer.

After couple weeks of work, that process was improved to enter the Sun/STK
".MOUNT". ".DISM", and other ".command"s as if the z/OS Operator had
issued them.  We prevented an expense of over $50,000 for the Sun/STK
software "required" on z/VM, the Sun/STK Sparc workstation, a Redhat
implementation, firewall rules, untold tape mount failures due to messed
up firewall changes, and multiple points of failure.

One day I might get around to replacing that band-aid/bubblegum connection
with something less complex and actually supported - but until then, it
continues to work great.  It's not pretty, it's not simple, but it does
the job.  Neither Sun/STK's recommended installation, nor my alternate
solution required DFSMS/CMS.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"David Boyes" <dbo...@sinenomine.net>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
05/05/2010 09:25 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: VMTAPE Command

> I'd be somewhat surprised that a hardware provider has a requirement
> for a
> very specific software vendor's tape library product (e.g. CA's
> VM:Tape,
> IBM's "Tape Manager for z/VM" product, etc.).

In fact, since the interface for manipulating library changer hardware is
not documented, most call out to DFSMS/CMS to do the deed.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.