If you never want to see certain devices in the VM LPAR then the IOCP
should be coded to not allow that LPAR to access the devices.

Brian Nielsen

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:03:33 -0700, Schuh, Richard <rsc...@visa.com> wrot
e:

>We have thousands of devices in the IOCP that we never want to see on ou
VM system; however, there are some we do need to access from VM intermixe
with them. In this case, we find it better to add yet another category,

Not_Accepted, which prevents the devices from being sensed and the
building of control blocks for them. This prevents bloat in the use of

storage and in any monitor displays or reports. If you went ahead and
sensed the devices and took them offline after the IPL, the device blocks

would be built for them and they could affect the way space is allocated

and used in your monitor segment.

>As with all things that affect the configuration, you must take care whe
specifying that devices are to be kept offline or not even sensed. It is

certainly best to insure that you do not include devices which you need i
the offline or Not_Accepted lists. As we like to say, "Your gun, your
bullet, your foot."