On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:21:45 -0700, Les Koehler wrote:
> I've seen a post that says the output of the
> C compiler on Z/OS is compatible with what VM
> needs. If the systems are connected, as I would
> hope, then no extra fees are involved.

Les,

There are two reasons:

1) I believe that I would be missing the VM-specific
   headers, execs and related utilities, unless those
   are part of the CMS base (LE).

2) The VM compiler is the indeed z/OS XL C/C++ 1.9
   Compiler set up to execute on VM/CMS.

   All of the compiler-supplied preprocessor symbols
   used to control the building of the code for the
   various ports is set at compiler runtime, based
   on where the _compiler_ is being executed.

   On z/OS, it identifies the platform as __MVS__.
   On VM/CMS, it identifies the platform as __VM__.

You can override that by creating an outer source
file and using #undef/#define to redefine the symbols.
I intend to set up that so I can do test builds on
z/OS for VM/CMS syntax validation, but that is a hack
not suitable for production builds.

Al Dunsmuir   -    Sr. TSA, RBC.  Developer - RBDM

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive
any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this
e-mail or the information
it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or
otherwise) immediately.

Ce courriel peut contenir des renseignements protégés et confidentiels.
L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s’y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des renseignements
qu’il contient
par une personne autre que le destinataire désigné est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m’en aviser immédiatement,
par retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen.