On Thursday, 08/05/2010 at 09:37 EDT, Tom Duggan <dugg...@emigrant.com>
wrote:
> I hope this gets through...(and a Hello! from a new member if it does!)
>
> I've been assigned a recent project of trying to automate
> the initial responses of a SLES 11 upgrade to servers
> running under z/VM 5.3.
>
> I'm trying to automate the replies up until the point in the
> process where SSH is launched to start yast.
>
> I've tried PUSH and QUEUE without success.  I'm more of a VM'er
> than "Linuxite" and just looking for a nudge in the right direction.
>
> I'm working on a 3270 emulator macro (Passport PC to Host) at present,
> which is a little tedious.
>
> What I'm seeing is after the guest machine's reader is IPL'd, CMS
> goes away and we're in a Linux environment, no?

That's exactly right.  Automation if this sort requires TWO virtual
machines.  One drives the other via the Single Console Image Facility
(SCIF):

UserA:  CP SET SECUSER USERB
UserB:  CP SEND CP USERA IPL 999
UserB:  <watches for a prompt>
UserB:  CP SEND USERA Answer number 1
UserB:  <watches for another prompt>
UserB:  CP SEND USERA Answer number 2
and so on.

All command output and other virtual machine console I/O is sent to UserB.
 UserB can trap it with the WAKEUP command or other home-grown solutions.

There are commercial automation offerings such as IBM Operations Manager
for z/VM that have this kind of thing already built into them (among other
capabilities).  You tell them what user(s) to watch, what to watch for,
and how to respond.