Marty,

We run z/VM5.4 to run LINUX - like you
We do not have RACF, Dirmaint, LDAP or anything - like you
I applied RSU1002 to z/VM 5.4.0 about a month ago and got the same error
you did
IBM told me to bring up my SHS servers because TCP/IP service was trying
to update something in the BFS
so I xautologged VMSERVR, VMSERVS, VMSRVU and restarted PUT2PROD and it
ran succesfully - sorta.

****             PUT2PROD              USERID: MAINT                ****
****            Date: 09/11/10            Time: 08:28:34            ****
WN:DTCPRD3043W   File PROFILE STCPIP I has been updated; Its content
WN:            should be reviewed for changes that may affect your use of
WN:            this file
WN:DTCPRD3021W TCP2PROD processing completed with RC = 4

this is a good warning error

now bringing up the SFS is part of my service procedure
That is the first time I have ever used the SFS system (on this system)
since I first installed z/VM5.4.0 .

good luck

Bill Munson
Sr. z/VM Systems Programmer