I heard from a couple of performance people at SHARE that we should have 20% to
25% of the total storage in an LPAR configured as expanded storage.  Naturally,
that's a guideline and the proper amount varies by workload.  What should I
look at to determine if we have enough expanded storage?  We use Velocity's
ESALPS suite.  The systems that I'm most concerned about have a Linux guest
workload.  One of them is all WAS, and the other is a mix of WAS, Oracle, and
some other things.

I've heard that WAS isn't the best choice for System z, but that's not the
focus of my concern.  We have the workload that we have, and I just want to
make it run as well as it can.

                                           Dennis O'Brien

"A slipping sear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least
expect it.  That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your  unit."
-- August 1993 issue of PS Magazine, preventive maintenance magazine of the US
Army