From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Matthew Rosato
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 14:40
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] VM64814 information

Dennis,

You should be able to find the text in the <prodid> MEMO file (for example,
5VMCPR40 MEMO).  If you ordered electronically, the MEMO should be located
in the SHIPDOCS file.

In case others have the same question, here's the contents of the memo as
they relate to VM64814:

Memo to Users for APAR VM64814

The following configuration file operands have been added by this APAR:

FEATURES ENABLE STP_Timestamping
 tells CP to enable the STP protocol (if the STP facility is
 installed) and apply timestamps to all XRC-capable DASD devices.

FEATURES ENABLE STP_TIMEZone
FEATURES ENABLE STP_TZ
 tells CP to enable the STP protocol (if the STP facility is
 installed) and obtain timezone information automatically from the STP
 server.

FEATURES ENABLE XRC_OPTional
 when STP_Timestamping is also enabled, this will allow non-
 timestamped I/O to be issued whenever STP is in an unsynchronized
 state, as opposed to deferring I/O until STP synchronization com-
 pletes.

FEATURES ENABLE XRC_TEST
 tells CP to timestamp I/O regardless of STP availability.  This
 option is meant only for vendor and testing purposes, and can only be
 specified for systems running within a virtual machine.

The following commands have been added by this APAR:

QUERY STP
 returns information regarding the current state of STP usage on the
 system.

The following commands have been modified by this APAR:

DEFINE TIMEZONE
 this command cannot be issued while STP_TIMEZone is in effect.

SET TIMEZONE
 this command cannot be issued while STP_TIMEZone is in effect.

QUERY TIMEZONE
 this command was updated to include STP timezone boundary information
 when STP_TIMEZone is in effect.

The following messages have been added:
  HCP985E
  HCP986I
  HCP987E
  HCP988I

The following publications have been modified:

CP Messages and Codes (GC24-6119-07 and GC24-6177-01)
  New entries were added for the messages referenced above.

CP Planning and Administration (SC24-6083-07 and SC24-6178-01)
  New entries were added for the FEATURES statements described above.

CP Commands and Utilities Reference (SC24-6081-07 and SC24-6175-01)
  A new entry was added for QUERY STP.
  Entries for SET TIMEZONE, DEFINE TIMEZONE and QUERY TIMEZONE were
  updated.

System Operation (SC24-6121-03 and SC24-6233-01)
   Added the following paragraph to Chapter 3 'Bringing up the System'
   under the heading 'Setting the Time of Day Clock':

   If your hardware is enabled and configured for Server Time Protocol
(STP) and
   this feature has been enabled in your configuration file (using the
   STP_TIMESTAMPING or STP_TZ features statements), you will not receive
any
   prompts to change the TOD clock. Instead, STP is automatically used to
   initialize the TOD clock with the STP-coordinated TOD value. When the
TOD
   clock is initialized, you will receive message HCP986I "TOD Clock
   Synchronized via STP."

Hope this helps,
Matt

Matthew J. Rosato
z/VM I/O Development

  From:       "O'Brien, Dennis L" <dennis.l.o'br...@bankofamerica.com>

  To:         IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

  Date:       09/21/2010 04:36 PM

  Subject:    Re: VM64814 information

  Sent by:    The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

Matt,
I'm running z/VM 5.4.0, so the applicable PTF is UM33146.  I looked in
UM33146 $PTFPART, but I didn't find a UMEMO section.  Is there somewhere
else that I should be looking for the memo?  I'll order the 6.1.0 PTF and
see if it's there.

Dennis

"A slipping sear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least
expect it.  That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your
unit." -- August 1993 issue of PS Magazine, preventive maintenance magazine
of the US Army