On Friday, 09/24/2010 at 12:54 EDT, Thomas Kern <tlk_sysp...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> >"Why does z/VM page at all? Our MVS LPAR has enough storage that we
> >don't have to."
>
> Because you did not give z/VM the same magnitude of resources that you
> gave your MVS LPAR.

But, see, it's not *quite* that simple.  MVS is optimized to run in an
unconstrained environment.  z/VM, on the other hand, has been optimized to
run in constrained environments.  Both reflect their respective value
propositions and decades of customer spending habits (which drive IBM
investment decisions).

Over the last decade, z/VM has seen significant changes in its design to
help it better manage large environments, reflecting changes in customer
spending habits.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training