You don't need 6.1

Just put  VM64798 VM64879 VM64881 on 5.4 and you can run on z10.

5.4 has a longer TTL than 6.1.

6.1 does not have that much more functionality.

Why would anyone go to a higher release that has a shorter expiration and
not much more functionality?

It's suboptimal.

Put on the APARs for z10 and wait for 6.2

"Frank M. Ramaekers" <framaek...@ailife.com>
10/14/2010 11:17 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
z10 and z/VM 6.1

We are installing a z10 this weekend with z/VM 5.4.  My question is what
are my migration options for migration to z/VM 6.1?   I don’t suppose that
6.1 can run under 5.4, since 6.1 requires a z10+ and 5.4 does not?  (If
so, problem solved.  Otherwise it looks I’ll be limited to 1.  LPAR the
z/VM 6.1 or  2. Run the production 5.4 under 6.1)

 Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.

Systems Programmer
MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co.
Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr.
Fax: (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas  76701

contains information which is privileged and confidential and is solely
for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
privacy...@ailife.com.