I'm not sure about his specific problem, but things to take into account.
The default recall key for z/OS is PA1 which the default key for CP READ.
A couple of things that I add to my USER DIRECT entry for all z/OS guests.

   COMMAND TERM BRKKEY PF12
   COMMAND TERM BREAKIN GUESTCTL
   COMMAND SET RUN ON

The BRKKEY will change the CP READ to PF12, leaving PA1 for z/OS console
recall.
Changing the BREAKIN to GUESTCTL will limit some of the times that z/VM
interupts the console

--
Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer