Richard,

We're using disk replication on HDS DASD for disaster recovery.  We were
able to reduce a script that had about 30 steps to one that isn't much
more complicated than:

1.       Suspend replication

2.       IPL

3.       Answer one question: is this a test or a real disaster?

4.       Certify

The "test or real disaster" answer determines the network configuration.
DR tests are behind a firewall, so they use different OSA's than we
would use for a real disaster.  The answer can also be used for other
things, such as determining which guests are started.  We don't start
z/Linux guests automatically during DR tests, because our Linux security
product has a problem with two guests having the same name.  If the DR
guest refreshes keys or whatever it does with Active Directory, the
production guest loses access.  This seems to happen around midnight, so
we start up DR guests when we're ready to test and shut them down as
soon as we're done.  One of our Linux people could explain this much
better than I can.

Make sure that your CP maintenance is current.  We had a CP abend and
guest I/O errors when we resumed replication on a z/VM 5.4.0 RSU 0801 or
0802 (I forget which) system.  The problem went away when we upgraded to
RSU 1001 plus some additional service.

We have two copies of the disks in our DR site.  This allows us to
continue replicating production on the secondary disks while we test on
the tertiary disks.

Dennis

"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."  -- Mark Twain