On Wednesday, 12/01/2010 at 11:43 EST, "Schuh, Richard" <rsc...@visa.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Alan. So it is not possible using RXSOCKET. Is it
> possible from a CMS client running a home-grown assembler or Pipelines
program,
> or is it a lost cause?

A lost cause, I would say.

Implicit/Static TLS/SSL is available for any TCP/IP *server* without
regard to the interface being used.  I.e. an IUCV, C, RxSocket or Pipeline
server can be protected by the SECURE parameter on the PORT statement.
However, there is no such support for clients.  If a connection to a
SECURE port (static) comes from an app on the same stack AND the
SecureLocal parm is specified, the stack will treat it as it would an
inbound external connection and route the connection through the SSL
server on behalf of the *server* side only.

For clients, only dynamic/negotiated TLS/SSL support is available, and
that is only via the VMCF/Pascal API.

Btw, I don't see very much pressure being placed on z/VM to provide
client-side TLS support for homegrown RxSocket or Pipeline apps.  I see
slightly more pressure for VM to provide user certificate-based single-
and two-factor authentication for TN3270E (and, inevitably, ftp and smtp).

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices